Here are some suggestions of worship, teaching, questions and activities looking at the miracle of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead in John 11.
This isn’t something you need to stick to, or complete in order or all at once but it is a plan that hopefully can help you to do church at home and look to Jesus together as a family. If you don’t normally do anything like this, do not worry! Just give it a go and you will be surprised with what your child comes out with. If this is something more familiar to you then go for it and add your own elements too!
Although a difficult time, this could also be an amazing time for you as a family to grow in faith together, to open up conversations and prayer with each other and to be surprised by all that God is doing in your child/children!
Let’s start with everyone worshipping together through singing and dancing with this song.
Before you play the next song, let’s pray a prayer together thanking God for how much he loves each and everyone of us. You could use the words below or say your own prayers.
Dear God, I thank you that you love me all the time. Thank you that even when I do something wrong, your love is bigger than my mistakes. Please help me to know your love for me more and more every day. Help me to share this love with others around me. Amen.
Listen to/sing this song thinking about God’s love for you. You can do the actions if you can remember them! As we let ourselves be filled up with God’s love, it overflows to those around us. (You could use the imagery of a pyramid of cups as we fill the top one up which is us, the water flows over to the others.)
Watch this short video together. You can then use the questions below or come up with your own to talk about it with each other. Why not get your child to find the story in the Bible in John 11? Helping your child to navigate a book that looks really big to them will be a great help in their journey with God.
Questions to talk through together
- What makes you feel sad?
- Even Jesus got sad! He knows exactly what it feels like so he understands and can help when we feel sad.
- How do you think Mary and Martha felt when Jesus arrived?
- We sometimes have questions about how Jesus does things, as we saw other people did in this story. Do you have any questions for Jesus?
- I find it sometimes helps to think of everything as a big jigsaw. But we can only see one piece where God can see the whole jigsaw, with all the pieces! We can’t tell what the big picture is from one piece can we? But God knows how everything fits together in the big picture as he sees all the pieces, so we can trust him. But if we have questions he’s happy for us to ask him anything like Mary, Martha, the disciples and others asked Jesus questions in this story.
- How do you think Mary and Martha felt after Lazarus was alive again?
- Jesus brought Lazarus back to life, isn’t that amazing! Can you share in your family’s all the amazing things God has done in your lives?
- Who else do we know that spent time in a tomb and came back to life?
- What do you think God is teaching you in this story?
Lazarus would have been wrapped up in cloth in the tomb, so we are going to mummify each other! But as we might want to hold on to our toilet paper, we are going to find a different way to make mummies today. Find towels, sheets, scarves… anything you can safely wrap around someone. This is something for all the family!
When you have been wrapped up like a mummy then try and do your favourite dance moves, take photos and videos and send them in!
As we learnt today, Jesus did incredible things. Look up the scripture below and read it together.
Ephesians 3:20 (NIV)
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us
God can do so much more than we could ever ask or imagine! And he uses us to do his work in the world too! What is one big prayer that we can pray today for our family, friends or the world around us?
Draw around the biggest hands you have in your family, cut them out and write your big prayer in one of them!
Let’s lift up our big prayers to God and thank him for all he has done for us as we sing our final song. You could make up your own dance moves to this song! Get someone to video them and share them with others.