Hi everyone! I hope you are all well. Today we are continuing to look at some of the parables that Jesus told. These were stories that Jesus used to help people understand and know more about him and the kingdom of God.
Follow through the page or choose the parts that work best for you and your child at home today. You don’t need to have all the answers, just chatting together and asking questions together will build your child’s relationship with Jesus and yours too! If anything comes up that you aren’t sure about and want some help to explain it to your child then get in touch.
Praying, worshipping and opening the bible together is an amazing thing to do as a family and will give you and your child tools to help them now and in the future. You’re doing amazing!
I hope you have a great time today doing Church At Home together!
Send your photos of what you’ve been up to, I’d love to see them and I know others in the church would love to see them too.
Get an adult to hide something in the house, without you seeing where it is.
You have 5 minutes to try and find it!
Adults you can help by saying the word ‘colder’ if they move further away from it, ‘warmer’ if they are getting closer and ‘hot’ if they are really close!
Sometimes Jesus told different stories to teach the same point. Have a look at the following videos of The Parable of the Lost Sheep and The Parable of the Lost Coin.
You can find these parables in Luke 15:1-10
Questions to talk through together
- Can you spot all the things that are the same in these two parables?
- In verse 1 and 2, the Pharisees (who thought they were better than anyone else) complained because Jesus was spending time with people they didn’t think he should be with! Can you think of any people in the world that others might not want to spend time with? Who can we show God’s love to that other people might not want to help?
- Have you ever lost something you cared about? What was it? How did it make you feel?
- When you find something you’ve lost, how do you feel? In the videos they have a celebratory dance, what would be your dance move to celebrate finding something?
- What do you think Jesus is teaching us in these parables?
There is a party in heaven every time someone comes into God’s family. How cool is that! Jesus is the good shepherd and we are his sheep. He searches for those that are lost and carries them home into his family. Every person is really special and important to him. There isn’t one person that Jesus doesn’t care about.
Jesus wants everyone to be in his family, but many people have never heard that Jesus loves them. In the story the shepherd goes to find the lost sheep. In real life, Jesus looks for people who don’t know about him. And guess what, he lets us help!
Draw and cut out paper or card in the shape of sheep.
On each sheep write the name of someone you know that doesn’t know Jesus yet. This could be a friend, a family member, a teacher, a neighbour… When you have written names on the sheep pray for Jesus to look for these people and that they will come to be a part of God’s family. Pray for opportunities to share God’s love with them too!
You can use the prayer below or your own words.
Dear Jesus, thank you that you love us all and wants all of us in your family. Thank you that you come to find us when we are lost. I pray for …………………… to know your love. Please search for them and help me to share your love with them too. Amen.