30 WAYS TO STAY CONNECTED
PAUSE/PRAY AUDIO BIBLE REFLECTIONS
The Lord’s Prayer
This audio reflection works through the Lord’s Prayer section by section. It gives prompts for reflection and prayer, and features instrumental piano accompaniment.
Here is a guided prayer reflection based on the Examen. This is a way of thinking back over your day with God, prayerfully, thankfully and honestly.
Peace Be With You reflection
This is a reflection on the peace of Jesus, and how it differs from the peace that the world gives. It draws from familiar Advent and Christmas Bible passages, and helps us think about whether we let the peace of God “rule in our hearts” (Colossians 3:15).
Knowing God’s Love
This reflection is an invitation to receive words of God’s love from the Bible, so that we might be sent out to share God’s love.
THE BIBLE APP
SIX WAYS TO LIVE LIKE JESUS
‘Do not worry about your life…’ (Jesus, Matthew 6v25)
How do we take these words to heart? Jesus isn’t talking about not being concerned with what’s happening around us at this time, but rather that we don’t allow our lives to be driven into a corner by worry and anxiety. Easier said than done, right?
To live a Jesus-shaped, non-anxious life in these difficult times we need to set up sustainable patterns for living. We’ve ‘borrowed’ the five categories that the organisation Mind have helpfully put on their website but included some ideas that can help you live these out as followers of Jesus.
If you would find it helpful to aim for a fixed schedule over the next few weeks (those with kids, or the list-makers among us!), then feel free to download the grid here. You can print it off to write out some practical ways to do this over the next few days, weeks, months.
Have a look at the SIX and then in the grid, try and write down one specific and practical way you could do one or two of these categories daily, weekly and monthly. If you live with others, definitely discuss it around a meal or some place together. Kids will usually have some amazing ways to do this that you haven’t thought of! The key is don’t try to fill out EVERY box on your first attempt! As the days and weeks go by and you feel you’re getting this, then feel free to add another way to the grid. Happy patterning!
- Connect – With God through prayer and each other by phoning. Try to check your news and social media feed less often and have a ‘good’ conversation with the person in the same room as you or a distraction free phone call to a loved one.
- Be active – Try taking exercise, whether that’s in your arm chairs, walks or HiiT workouts in your living room.
- Be present – Take notice of your surrounding and how others are feeling. Ask the Holy Spirit what he is doing every time you move room or location. Be present to your body also – if you’re getting tired, take a break!
- Learn – Take time in the scriptures to let Jesus speak to you through them. Use our Lectio Divina Journal to go deeper in to teaching and check out our podcasts. Learning new recipes for meals, trying to bake your own bread, drawing and writing will all help!
- Give – Whether this is financial, in prayer for others or in practical acts of service, taking our eyes off ourselves to help others brings great perspective.
- Stop – Take a sabbath (24 hours set aside to rest and delight). Could you do a digital sabbath (no phones and devices), try not to shop on that day (even online!) Do something that brings life to you (and family) life, scriptures, walks, making (and eating) pancakes! Etc. Get a good night’s sleep. Set yourself an episode limit on engaging Netflix and devices. These usually leave you more exhausted not less!